Delta IV

Where politics happen.
Syrta

Delta IV

Post by Syrta »

Councilor Idris Taldon, Paris, France, Earth

It’s about time, but haven’t you got it backwards? Aren’t you supposed to be telling me how to vote? I figure I’d keep going mostly with how daddy voted, with only minor tweaks, but you ought to be telling me.

Anyway, any planet located half way between the Breen and the Romulans ought to be all in favor of a strong defense. We’ve supported Starfleet for a long time. I have been continuing that out of habit.

Thing is, it may not be as necessary as all that. Picture a tough guy invader. He’s mean, he’s strong, he’s got a rifle, grenades, assorted other things that go boom, and he has an attitude. In the other corner is this cute little bald girl, scared, instinctively kicking off pheromones, turning the big mean guy into putty, making him fall in love, go insane, and be totally useless.

I think there is a reason nobody has tried to invade Delta IV. It is a cute little trap. Not sure I would bet the farm on that defense. I’ll keep voting for a strong Starfleet. Still, there are other planets that do not exclude even friendly races from their surface, that can interact with other species without special training and conditioning. We’re probably OK, but I’’ll keep up the old doctrine.

Next, we want to be left alone. We have to be left alone. See above. Thing is, too many folk here believe what is best for The Federation must be best for its members, right? One size fits all. What is good for their planet must be good for everybody? Not necessarily. While you have to look at every issue as case by case, overall you have to watch for people who are for The Federation but don’t care about its member worlds. You have to watch out for people who think what is best for them should be forced on all.

And that goes for paying for it. We can handle ourselves, but aren’t crazy rich in resources or anything else. Hey, if a new member needs weather control or quake control, give them a boost. But if they want luxuries, let them earn it themselves. Don’t come crying to established planets. Technology transfer, sure. A free ride? I don’t think so.

That is about it for broad trends. You have to take everything case by case. Still, those are my basic assumptions. Let me know if you have trouble with any of it.

Idris