Note on Defense

Where politics happen.
Syrta

Note on Defense

Post by Syrta »

To: Councilor Eryv ch’Azaarhir of Andoria
Subject: Federation Defense Policy

Sir

The government of Delta IV has traditionally promoted a strong defense as part of our desire just to be left alone. Our tendency towards emitting pheromones is quite motivating towards isolation in many ways, and any planet located about half way between the Romulans and the Breen has to be a little nervous. I personally appreciate many elements of the Constructionist party, but the need to keep isolation has traditionally made us Federalist.

Which as left me digging into the current state of the universe and your personal slant on what our policy should be. My first attempt to find out by asking for a statement by the Research Service was rejected with advice to ask the Security Council. I find asking the Security Council head whether to support the candidate for president somewhat amusing.

From what I have been able to gather, we are surrounded by many powers which if they all got hostile at once could overwhelm us. And yet, this is currently far from the case. Hostilities with the Gorn have ceased. The Klingon are engaged in internal conflict. There are rumors that the Romulans may act like Romulans, but what else is new? If tensions are relatively light, how paranoid need we be?

In short, I would like to know what your position will be should you be elected. This could come in many forms? A note returned would be sufficient. If there is a Security Council document on the subject you could send a copy. If you think a full Security Council meeting is appropriate, that could be held. Just mentioning your position in an upcoming campaign speech may be sufficient.

But I am not the only one to be concerned. I am getting a few prods on the subject by my superiors at home, and it could shift how the general population will vote. I would appreciate it if you addressed the issue.

Idris

Zaar

Re: Note on Defense

Post by Zaar »

To: Idris Taldon of Delta IV
Subject: RE: Federation Defense Policy

Councilor Idris,

Thank you for your message. I apologise for taking a while to respond.

I understand your concerns and am pleased you have brought them to me. The defence of the Federation is the top of my agenda. I understand your peoples history and stance on being isolated.

I will not do anything to weaken the Federation’s defence policies. I’m happy to talk to all of our neighbours and be of friendly ground but I won’t do anything to weaken the Federation. I’m sure you can appreciate that being surrounded by friends can be better than being surrounded by enemies, but at the same time friends can turn to enemies quite easily as we have seen in the past.

The Federation’s current defence of Delta IV will remain as it is, the only changes that would happen in the future would be to make that defence stronger than it currently is. There will be very little risk to the population.

If you have any further questions or queries please don’t hesitate to ask.

Zaar
Councilor Eryv ch’Azaarhir
Andoria Representative
Chair of Federation Security Council
Constructistionist Party
Presidential Candidate

Idris

Re: Note on Defense

Post by Idris »

To: Councilor Eryv ch’Azaarhir of Andoria
Subject: Re: Federation Defense Policy

Councilor Zarr

Thank you for clarifying your position. It will make any support of your party simpler in the future. It may be prudent to make this position clear in your presidential campaign. Delta IV is among many planets where the people are very concerned about defense. You will have a better chance of attracting votes if the position stated were to be occasionally repeated.

Thank you as well for the vote on the Parliamentary Speech amendment. I’m sure my father would be a bit exasperated by an emotional display on it, but it was my very first attempt at amendment. I am allowed to smile a little? Any jigs danced, however, will be kept strictly private.

Best of luck on your campaign.

Idris